Kamanayakanpatti  Shrine

Patron of the Shrine :
Our Lady of Assumption (1850)
Vicairate : Kovilpatti
Church Name : Our Lady of Assumption Shrine
Name of the Parish : Kamanayakkanpatti
Parish Priest : Rev. Fr.   Arulraj S.M.
Asst. Parish Priest : Rev.Fr. Antony Masilamani D
District : Thoothukudi
Telephone : 4632-244229.

Brief history

Christianity had its strong root in Kamanayakkanpatti even before 18th century. The Priests of Society of Jesus found out that Kamanayakkanpatti was the apt place for the apostolic mission. Fr. John De Britto chose this centre and it became their residence in 1688. The earnest priest from Itally the gratest poet in Tamil the author of Tembavani Fr. Lonstrantine Besehi (Viramaniver) also served there as Parish Priest. He introduced Indianzation of precession with Radhms and chapparems during the titular festival. The suppression of the society of Jesus in 1773. Stopped only the visit of those priests. In fact, it strengthened the people in Spiritual life. The people of Kamanayakkanpatti proved themselves as nearly and pillars of the church during their period. The former Bishop of Coimbatore Most Rev. C.M. Visuvasam, D.D. belonged to theis parish.
Kamanayakanpatti, Thuraiyur (Via) – 627 720, Tuticorin District | Telephone: 04632-244299
Rev. Fr. Antonysamy S.A.

Shrine Gallery





Renovation Download
Newsletter