|Patron of the Shrine|| :
||St. Antony of Padua
|Church Name||:||St. Antony's Shrine|
|Name of the Parish||:||Puliampatti|
|Parish Priest||:||Rev. Fr. Kulandairaj G.|
|Asst. Parish Priest||:||Fr. Arul Alexander A
Fr. Deepak Michael Raja C
|Telephone||:||0461-2273223 (o),-2273322 (p)|
|Indeed Puliyampatty is an insignificant small village. It is an absolute fact that this remote village earned name and fame only because of St. Antony’s shine. The authentic documents regarding this shine was traced out by Rev. Fr. Moumas, S.J. But these records also tell the story and history only from the year 1851. From the diary of Rev. Fr. Gregoire, S.J. It is crystal clear that the missionaries build the 12x10x12 valuated chapel. From1910 Puliyampatty was administered by the pannerkulam parish priest. The active priests achieved many things by their aspiring activities. For instance Fr. Siluvai frequently visited Puliyampatty from pannerkulam and said mass. In 1913 he put up a small mandapam with mud walls. In 1919 one thatched room for the priest was build by him.
In 1920 Rev. Fr. Blasius took the charge of Pannerkulam. Knowing the importance of this shrine he did some tiresome deeds for its improvement. It 193\23 Rev. Fr. B. Dilinger, S.J. bought a land and built up the presbytery with two rooms and a Veranda. Again a land was settled by him in 1931 where he built up shed for Chapparms.
During the region of Kuruvilla, S.J. as he found a good number of poligrims frequentin the shrine, he allowed his assistant Fr. S. Savariraj to stay at Puliyampatty from 1939. In 1943 Fr. T.V.D. Almeida, S.J. put up a mandapam for the piligrims. Meanwhile the Pannerkulam Parish was divided and the new Parish Alavanthankulam was divided and the new Parish included with the new Parish as a sub station. There after a priest began to reside here permanently. The important landmark took place in 1954. It was on the auspicious day of 15th Feb 1954 Puliyampatty became the separate parish with Ref. Fr. A. Mariadas as its first Parish priest. He started an elementary school for local children. In 1955 Rev. Fr. Arulanandam took charge, and he gave his sincere service more than 18 years to the shrine. During his time the elementary school was upgraded to higher elementary school. A branch post office was opened in the Church premises. Another most important event was the extension of the little church to the size of Cathedral Church, and it was blessed by the most Rev. J.P. Leonard S.J. D.D. the Archbishop of Madurai on 13-06-1961
After Fr. Arulanandam, Fr. T.A. Berchmans served here for 5 years. He did so many things for the convenience of the pilgrims including the Thar Road, and also the Bus convenience.
At present this shrine is flourishing in so many aspects. The whole credit goes to Rev. P. Gnanapragasam, the present parish priest who can be well addressed as the “Pillar of the pilgrim centre”. His tiresome services are countless. The open shed constructed recently at the cost of Rs. 6 lakhs fully donated by one of his Hindu relatives for the welfare of the pilgrims, is the apex of this love for this growing shrine. One can ferventually believe that his deeds indeed would reap an ahundant harvest of spiritual fruit. People who ever come to this shrine get Physical Convalesance and mental balance. The annual feast is celebrated here in the last Tuesday of Tamil month Thai
Puliyampatti – 628 303, Naraikinaru (Via), Tuticorin District. | Telephone:04631-2273223
Rev. Fr. Kulandairaj G.